a day for discoveries

This is my one hundredth post!



They say that you learn something new everyday.

Well today was full of discoveries and learning. I headed downtown with Heather, Deb and Donna. That is Trey's mother, grandmother and another lovely volunteer. We headed down Burrard St, going from business to business asking for auction donations for Once Upon A Cure. That in itself was a learning opportunity. Some people were amazingly friendly, and others were outright rude.

After approaching literally every business on the block- both sides- we headed to the Cactus Club for lunch. And this was where I really learned.

Deb has always amazed me. A wonderful mother to three young kids; one with a severe illness. Her passion and dedication to funding research for MPS-II is inspiring. You couldn't imagine the hours this woman puts into learning about this complicated disease, travelling to treatment centers, loving and nourishing her children, and organizing events that will result in the some of the only funds in the world going towards MPS-II research. I've only met Deb a few times, but I read her blog on a regular basis. And I think it's because of that, that I've been so drawn to her family. There is something about that family that is so appealing, I feel like I'm part of it. I hope one day that I can be half the mother that Deb is.

The real learning came when we starting talking about "unschooling"- the way Deb has chosen to educate her children. It's pretty much homeschooling, but with a few differences, and a much more modern name. I'm still not sure how the actual learning at home works, but she explained the things she didn't like about the traditional school systems, which really made sense to me. She explained how everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, yet at school it just so happens that if your strengths aren't in the academic subjects, you're viewed as "dumb". Deb didn't want that for her kids.

She also explained that school kills individuality. I one hundred percent agree. If you do not fall into the category of "social norm", you are ridiculed by your peers. But really, who wants to be ordinary...? That's boring.

This whole concept of "unschooling", really fascinated me. It gives you a new way of looking at education.

And then I learned from Heather; also an amazing mother. She used to be a elementary principal, and let me tell you, I can bet you she was well liked by her students. She has the kindest and most nourishing nature. Heather and her husband spend half the year travelling. To Mexico, in their 5th wheel, or recently to South East Asia. They sound like the most amazing travelers. Always down for an adventure, and never afraid to try new things.

Comments

  1. Dear Lisa,

    You are lovely. Also, I love reading this blog: http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/
    1. for the recipes and
    2. cause she is unsschooling her daughter and I enjoy learning about their adventures.

    Keep being wonderful : )
    XOXO
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts