the Young and the Election

Well, the federal election campaign is well on it's way. It seems as if a lot of people aren't following this election as closely as usual because they think it's unnecessary. But for me, this is the first election where I've actually been old enough and educated enough to be involved.

I'm finding the whole social media aspect to this campaign fascinating. From the alleged Stephen Harper facebook scandal, to Michael Ignatieff having a representative tweeting some of his quotes during the English Language Debate. There is no doubt that this election is targeting the youth more than ever. And what better way to promote than on facebook and twitter. Between my peers, there has been a lot of very interesting online discussion that probably would never happen in a face to face conversation. Social media is changing the way things are done.

Student Vote is preparing to have it's biggest high school involvement ever. High schools all across the country have registered to have campaign posters, ballot boxes and voting screens sent to their school, so that those students who aren't of age to vote, can have their say too. Student Vote will take place on May 2nd or the week prior, and the results will be released publicly on election night, broadcast on National TV and published in newspapers. So although, myself, a 17 year old Canadian Citizen, may not be of legal age to vote, no one can say that I don't have a voice. Because I can be sure, that the politicians will be paying close attention to the Student Vote results. Maybe, the younger generations of Canada have given themselves a bad reputation for their voting turn-out, but I think that's going to change.



One thing that really gets to me about these elections is the negative campaigning. It's easy to find the flaws and the faults in others because nobody's perfect. But imagine how much more affective it would be if political parties focused on their strengths and what they have to offer rather than bashing their opponents, which really tells the citizens of Canada nothing about them, except for the fact that they have sleazy advertising tactics.

Comments

  1. I totally agree! It will be my first vote in an election as well and a few months ago I wouldn't have guessed i'd be this excited about it : D
    YOUTH IS THE ANSWER! WE ARE THE CHANGE!

    PS: I totally agree about the negative campaigning. I am planning to vote for the NDP candidate in my riding, but I am really not a fan of their ads haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts