ENCOUNTERS!

What. A. Week.

I don't even know where to start. My past week in Ottawa was easily one of the best of my life, and I must say now that I am home, away from my 93 new friends, I feel a little lost, like I don't know what to do with myself.

Before I left, people told me that the people you meet will be some of your best friends, and I thought to myself 'How can you become so close to people in only a week'. Now I completely understand what they were talking about. It's amazing how 93 youth from every province across Canada can come to the Terry Fox Center, not knowing a soul, and leaving 6 days later with 93 new friends. The amount of tears shed as everyone departed on Saturday was unreal. The fact that we didn't sleep at all that night might have triggered some emotions, but it was like leaving your family, and maybe not seeing them ever again.

Remember that sense of pride and unity Canada felt during the 2010 Winter Games? That is what I felt during my week in Ottawa. Never have I learned so much about other regions in Canada. We learned that:

a. Farm kids go to school
b. People from PEI don't live in light houses
c. the terms LG and LB are a west coast thing
d. in Toronto sweat pants are called joggers

Throughout the week, I realized how great it would be to be bilingual. One of my good friends was from Quebec and she spoke just about as much English as I spoke French. It was neat that we became such good friends when we could barely communicate. Soccer is to thank for that friendship; the only word I needed to say was "ici". This trip also made me realize how little French I actually do know, and how much I really want to learn it.

From day to day, people became more open and friendships grew tighter. When a friend told me that by the end of the week you will be a big family, I didn't believe her, but it is totally true. On the last day we had a talking stick ceremony, where we sat in a big circle passing the stick around, where you may only speak when you have the stick. The comments ranged from a Quebec girl saying "You people are all so nice, I have no clue why Quebec would want to split from the rest of Canada" and then breaking into tears, to Hal saying "I met three amazing people this week; Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, an Hermione Granger." Most people said how they love everyone and will miss everyone and we are all amazing people, and although it was repeated more than enough times, every time I couldn't agree more. Tonight, I sit here missing all the amazing people I met, and a year down the road, I won't forget them one bit.

I must say, I am glad that I am one of the 42 or something people there from BC because that way it is easier to reunite. If I was one of the 2 from Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario or New Brunswick it might not be so easy.

Well, as I keep rambling on about how amazing the past week was, and how I'll never forget it, it kind of dawned on my that I just missed 5 days of school, and I probably should do a little bit of homework. Oh the harsh realities of coming home.

But to end on a good note, I'll just say: Solidarity Forever.
(Probably the most overused, yet the greatest phrase of the week.)

Comments

Popular Posts