Lightning

I'm writing from the patio of our hotel in lovely Penticton. It's a windy night, and it just recently started lightning-ing (if that's how you'd put it?)

Lightning may not be what comes to mind when thinking of the Okanagan, and I'm not sure if just coincidence or not, that every time I'm here there's always a lightning storm.

A few summers ago, when my softball team was at provincials in Summerland, we were all swimming in Lake Okanagan when the lightning started. Us girls of course thought it was super exciting, and could have stayed out there all night if it weren't for our parents freaking out and calling us indoors.

The next time, I was with my hockey team in Kelowna; we were sitting outside chatting away when the lightning started. I'm not sure if lightning is just a common thing here, or if it's attract to me, maybe.

When I picture the typical lightning storm, I imagine heavy rain, roaring thunder, and then flashes of bright lightning. But tonight is a perfectly beautiful night, no rain or thunder. I've always thought they come hand in hand; but it's true what they say- you learn something new everyday.

Even after all the science classes where they've tried to teach us about lightning; I've never fully understood it. So here are some interesting things I found while reading up on lightning.
  • the average lightning stroke is 10 kilometers long
  • the temperature of lightning's stroke can reach 27 760 degrees Celsius. The surface of the sun is not even that hot! (about 6 093 degrees)
  • once the leading edge of a thunderstorm approaches to within 10 miles, you are at immediate risk due to the possibility of lightning strokes coming from overhanging anvil cloud. Because of this, many lightning deaths and injuries occur with clear skies directly overhead.


Unfortunately, lightning is not always this picture-perfect either.

Comments

Popular Posts